Seggau Castle is located in Seggauberg in the municipality of Leibnitz, in southern Styria, in Austria. After a careful conversion, today it houses a hotel where tradition and modernity blend harmoniously.
Schloss Seggau History
The history of the area dates back to the times of the Celts and the Romans. Evidence of this is the exceptional lapidary (collection of Roman stone monuments) on the outer wall of the upper castle. It is one of the most important collections of Roman stones in Europe outside of Italy.
Schloss Seggau was the representative office of the bishops of Styria until 1786 and its summer residence until the 20th century. For many centuries the castle served as a seat for bishops for the maintenance of the respective bishop of the diocese of Seckau and for his duties of representation. It was also a work center for the region and a meeting place on many occasions.
Built by the archbishops of Salzburg (Konrad I) as a mission and administrative bastion from the 11th century onwards, and expanded by the bishops of Seckau from 1218, the complex holds extraordinary artistic treasures.
The so-called "Fürstenzimmer" are among the most impressive halls of the castle and are located on the second floor of the Hochschloss. As a princely episcopal representation, they represent a true jewel of art with their baroque furnishings known beyond the borders of the country. These episcopal representation rooms were places of discussion and dialogue between church, science and politics.
In the Seggau castle there is also the largest historic bell in Styria: the "Seggauer Liesl". It is still played by hand at 12.00 on Sundays and public holidays. The Baroque castle chapel (Marienkapelle) and the modern Michaelskapelle with works by contemporary Styrian artists are particularly eye-catching in their contrasts.
In search of a new meaning for the ancient walls, in 1954 a training center was established mainly for church courses. Former farm buildings and stables have become seminar rooms and guest rooms. In the early 1990s, the first construction measures were taken in the direction of a modern conference and conference center. This conversion was completed in 2009, so that in addition to the modern conference and conference center, today there is a modern and new concept hotel that meets the requirements of the 21st century and where tradition and modernity blend harmoniously.