The Carlo Felice theater is the main Genoese theater and one of the best known in Italy. The Opera and Ballet season and the Symphonic season are held there, as well as recitals and various events.
Since 1991 it has been the main venue for the musical seasons of the Giovine Orchestra Genovese, a non-profit organization that organizes, produces and promotes chamber music concerts since 1912, whose headquarters are located in the nearby Galleria Mazzini.
The theater is located in the city center, next to the equestrian monument to Giuseppe Garibaldi and not far from the fountain which represents one of the symbols of the city.
Teatro Carlo Felice History
The theater was inaugurated on April 7, 1828, in the presence of the sovereigns of the Kingdom of Sardinia, Carlo Felice and Queen Maria Cristina, with the representation of the work of Vincenzo Bellini Bianca and Fernando on a libretto by the Genoese Felice Romani with Adelaide Tosi, Giovanni David and Antonio Tamburini.
During the Second World War the theater was hit twice and partially destroyed: the floors and the carpentry parts of the theater were destroyed (stages, ceilings, and so on); the perimeter walls remained instead.
Although some parts of the theater had survived, it was decided by the municipality that the city should completely rebuild its theater. To date, only the Prònao remains of the first theater today (which is a space taken from Greco-Roman architecture that echoes the facades of ancient temples) in fact it consists of a sloping facade, often with Latin engravings, and a series of columns that support it. All this precedes the effective entry of each building that presents it; be it ancient or modern), the columns, and the terrace overlooking today's Piazza XXV Aprile, which overlooks one of the foyers.