Villa Angarano is a Venetian villa located in Bassano del Grappa that Andrea Palladio designed for his great friend Giacomo Angarano. The building is included in 1996 in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, together with the other Palladian Venetian villas.
Villa Angarano History
Villa Angarano is a majestic Palladian villa in Bassano del Grappa, in the province of Vicenza, which belongs to and is still inhabited by the Bianchi Michiel sisters, descendants of an ancient dogal family.
The villa's project is included in Andrea Palladio's "Four Books of Architecture".
It was in 1548 that Giacomo Angarano commissioned his illustrious friend Andrea Palladio to build the current prestigious villa conceived, not only as a farm, but also as a place to stay.
The works began in 1556, but the central body remained unfinished. Of Palladiano, the barchesse that close on the central body of the Baroque structure remain in the current structure.
The latter was built between the end of the seventeenth century and completed in the early eighteenth century by the Venetian architect Domenico Margutti, a pupil of Baldassare Longhena.
The front of the barchessa on the right houses the noble church of S. Maria Maddalena, also attributed to Margutti.
In 1996 the Villa was included in the list of Italian UNESCO heritage sites.