The Sannazzaro castle is located on a flat stretch on the eastern limits of Monferrato in an area between fertile hills rich in vineyards. Built following a diploma given by the emperor Federico Barbarossa to 4 knights of the Sannazzaro family on December 4, 1163 who still live there.
Castello Sannazzaro History
The complex is surrounded by a park of about 23,000 square meters bordered by the Grana stream, where there is an English-style garden of nineteenth-century layout with tall trees and with a small orchard and a large gazebo in the western part behind the stables.
The construction of the Castle was conceived on the basis of a diploma given by Emperor Federico Barbarossa in Pavia on 4 December 1163 to Guido, Burgundio, Assalito and Raineri, knights of Sannazzaro in which, among other privileges, he authorized them to build a castle wherever they wanted in their properties.
The first document in which the castle appears to have been completed and already fully functional is from 1277. In this document the castle is already equipped with a moat, drawbridge, entrance tower, a shelter and a southeast area inhabited by the sons of the magnificent Corradino di Sannazzaro probable builder of the castle. Modified several times in various eras it was transformed into a country residence in the 18th century with the renovation of the south wing overlooking the town, while in 1854-57 it was redecorated and restored according to the neo-Gothic taste then prevailing the western and northern wing with important results scenographic and decorative.
Extremely rare case in Italy it has always been owned by the Sannazzaro family who still live there.
In the past it hosted, among others, the Palaeologus princes of Marquis of Monferrato, the princes Gonzaga dukes of Mantua and Monferrato, the king Carlo Emanuele III of Sardinia with the son prince of Piedmont (future Vittorio Amedeo III) who stayed here in September 1745, King Vittorio Emanuele II with Emperor Napoleon III in May 1859, Duke Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia-Aosta in 1911, artists and other illustrious personalities.
Hospitality in the castle is offered by 4 double bedrooms with bathroom and 2 twin bedrooms with shared bathroom, all decorated and furnished with period furniture and objects.
As well as for stays, the castle is also open to host events such as weddings and parties, thanks to the large spaces in the entrance hall or alternatively the ballroom located on the first floor. Also in the church of San Giacomo it is possible to celebrate weddings or baptisms.