Palazzo Te, built between 1524 and 1535 on commission from Federico II Gonzaga, is the most famous work of the Italian architect Giulio Romano. The structure is now home to the civic museum and, since 1990, to the international center of art and culture of Palazzo Te which organizes exhibitions of ancient and modern art and architecture.
Palazzo Te History
The first evidence regarding the presence of the Te factory can be found in 1526, when a building under construction is mentioned which stands near the city, between the lakes, on the route of the Church and the Palazzo di San Sebastiano.
Frederick II Gonzaga wanted the construction of the palace, who commissioned Giulio Romano to build a palace destined for the Prince's hunting trips and for lavish receptions with the most illustrious guests. The construction was completed in just over a year, while the decoration of the complex, which took place in the space of about 10 years (1525-1535), made use of the presence of qualified collaborators of Giulio Romano.
Tral and better known rooms: the Sala dei Cavalli, where the Prince's favorite steeds are portrayed in full size; the Chamber of Cupid and Psyche, illustrated by numerous episodes in the story of the god Cupid and his beloved earthly princess, inspired by the narration of Apuleius; the Chamber of Giants, within which the spectator is involved in the tragic ruin of the Giants, cruelly punished for wanting to climb Olympus and attack the throne of Jupiter.