Hallegg Castle is a castle in the northwest of the Carinthian state capital Klagenfurt am Wörthersee, which essentially dates back to the 16th century. The inner courtyards are open to the public and are worth a visit. The inner courtyards are among the most beautiful in Austria. The first is fascinating with its three-story arcade, the second arcaded courtyard is pentagonal with graffiti decorations. The castle premises, including the tavern and the castle courtyards, can now be rented out for weddings and events
Schloss Hallegg History
Hallegg Castle is a large irregular building. The building is similar to a castle, the wings are around two inner courtyards. The facades are unadorned, the rows of windows irregular.
From 1198 to 1433 Hallegg was owned by the family of the same name (Hallegg) as a princely fief. The former castle was transformed into a Renaissance palace in 1546
To the west of the structure is a representative residential wing with a high hipped roof. The wing was built under Viktor Welzer. In the barrel-vaulted knights' hall on the first floor there is a marble inscription according to which Viktor Welzer and Eberstein, Hallegg and Lemberg and his wife Elisabeth Khevenhüller had the wing built. The couple had already built Welzenegg Castle.
The two-story arcaded courtyard borders it to the east. In the arches there are sgraffiti dated to 1547 and bear, among other things, the coats of arms of the Welzer and Khevenhüller families, as well as the year 1213. The courtyard forms an irregular and elongated pentagon. To the east, a vaulted arched entrance leads into the southeast wing of the castle, probably built under Moritz Welzer. On the north side of the arcaded courtyard is the medieval core of the complex, to which a gate tower has been added on the north side under Moritz Welzer. To the north-east of this is the second internal courtyard, bordered to the north and east by three-story arcades. At the north-east corner of the courtyard is the chapel tower supported by corbels. The chapel is dedicated to San Francesco and is mentioned for the first time in 1616. The frescoes in the chapel from 1749 have not been preserved.