The Landhaushof is a traditional Austrian restaurant, very well-kept, in a historic setting. It is located in the center of Klagenfurt in the "Landhaus", the large building which houses the region and where the government of Carinthia meets. Here you can eat under beautiful historic vaults, in a well-kept atmosphere, or in the garden of the internal patio. The kitchen offers many classic Austrian dishes.
The restaurant is located inside the Landhaus, the former Regional Diet Building of the Austrian city of Klagenfurt, the capital of Carinthia. It stands among the most important squares in the city center, and represents a good example of Renaissance architecture in Austria. The building was built on the site of the ancient castle. It was started in 1574 by the architect Hans Freymann who conceived a horseshoe-shaped structure around a courtyard, watched by two towers. The Renaissance-style project was later continued by Giovanni Antonio Verda from Gandria from Lugano; who completed it in 1587.
The building has its main facade at the end of the courtyard, consisting of a double loggia wing, flanked by two imposing porticoed stairways that find the entrance under the two twin towers with beautiful baroque bulbous roofs.
Inside there is the splendid Wappensaal, the "Hall of Coats", with entirely frescoed walls with 665 blazons of the ancient and noble families of Carinthia. On the ceiling is a large perspective baroque fresco with the Glory of Charles VI of Habsburg. All the frescoes were painted between 1740 and 1760 by the local painter Josef Ferdinand Fromiller. In the room there is the famous "Fürstenstein", the Prince's stone, the capital of an Ionic column, very important in the coronation ceremonies of the Carantanian princes in the early Middle Ages, and the dukes of Carinthia, afterwards.