Haunsperg Castle is an old noble seat in the municipality of Oberalm, in the Austrian state of Salzburg, which can now be visited on request and is the site of exclusive events and weddings.
Schloss Haunsperg History
The castle was first mentioned in a document around 1365, when it was owned by Ekhart Prennär von Haus. The property was sold in the same year. In 1388 Michael von Haunsperg bought the property. The Lords of Haunsperg still owned several estates in the regions of Salzburg and Bavaria. When an inheritance was divided in 1418, the Oberalm estate passed to Hartwig von Haunsperg. The family was elevated to the rank of count in 1670, but died out in the male line in 1691 and in the female line in 1724.
Juliana von Haunsperg brought the residence in her first marriage to Georg Trauner von Adelstetten in 1596. In 1638 she handed it over to her daughter Maria Katharina, married to Pranckh. Franz Adam Gottlieb von Pranckh followed his five sons and three daughters in 1691 and 1704. In 1710 the widow Anna Felicitas Hegi took over the management of the property from the very beginning. In 1728 his son Franz Wilhelm Gottlieb von Pranckh sold his property to Georg von Lohr on Haunsperg. He was followed in 1731 by Johann Adam Gerstner von Gerstorff, personal physician of Archbishop Leopold Anton von Firmian. From him in 1746 Josef Rupert von Pfeiffersberg bought the Upper Alps Castle with a chapel. His family owned Haunsperg until 1815, when the castle was auctioned off. Peter Paul von Maffei, owner of Kahlsperg, acquired the residence from the bankruptcy estate. In 1856 the homonymous son inherited the property, followed in 1881 by the widow Johanna. However, in 1894 eight heirs were entered in the land register and in 1897 three more were added.
It is therefore not surprising that in 1899 the entire property was bought by Adolf Mautner Ritter von Markhof and his sister Marie, married since 1911 to Rudolf von Thun and Hohenstein, district captain of the administrative authority of Hallein from 1896 to 1900. In 1938 Haunsperg became the property of the countess's nephew, Emmerich Gernerth-Mautner Markhof.
Georg Gernerth Mautner Markhof and his wife Erika-Therese ran the property as a castle hotel.
Today's castle was born from a medieval residential tower rebuilt in 1600 in the current form of residence. A four-storey building rises on a rectangular plan, to the east and west topped by a turret with a curved baroque tent roof. On the east facade there is a porticoed front, on the ground floor these are placed on marble columns. The main entrance to the castle is through the eastern tower. In the frieze of the pediment above, the von Gerstorff family coat of arms is attached with the fresco technique.
To the east of the castle is the castle chapel dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua. The chapel dates from 1675. The chapel building has an open vestibule based on three columns to the north and an extension of the sacristy to the south, surmounted by a baroque turret with an octagonal tower and a pyramidal roof. The bell has an inscription with the year 1570 and the coat of arms of the Kuen-Belasi and Thannhausen families. The current equipment dates back to the early 18th century. In the chapel is the oldest mechanical tower in Oberalm, said to resemble the Salisbury tower clock from 1386. The movement is believed to date from around 1580 and is powered by two stone weights. Typical of the time are the inclined corner pillars with a simple knob. In the chapel tower there are three dials, each with a single hour indicator.
It can be visited occasionally on request. The castle also has a small chapel where weddings can be celebrated.