Schloss Tratzberg is located between Jenbach and Schwaz in the Inn Valley. It is located in the municipality of Stans on a rocky ridge about 100 m above the valley floor on the side owned by Ulrich Goëss-Enzenberg and his wife Katrin Goëss-Enzenberg. Built in its present form essentially by the brothers Veit-Jakob and Simon Tänzl around 1500 and is an excellent example of a Renaissance palace in the Alps.
Schloss Tratzberg History
In 1296, a castle called Trazperch was mentioned at this point; it was destroyed by a fire in 1490/91. The next emperor Maximilian I left the ruins in 1499 in exchange for the castle of Berneck in Kaunertal the brothers Veit-Jakob and Simon Tänzl with the conditions of the reconstruction. Beginning in 1500, a complex of four three-storey wings with a courtyard and tower of stairs, portals and porticos, columns, window sills and chimneys in Hagauer Marmor was built in a construction period of 8 years starting from 1500. The wing north has not been completed.
In 1553, the heirs of the Tänzl brothers sold the castle, which since then has undergone numerous changes of ownership and associated changes throughout its history.
The closure of the vacant lots in the north as well as the suggestive painting of the facade in the courtyard are attributed to the knight of Augusta Georg Ilsung and his family, in the second half of the sixteenth century. From that moment on, his sons called themselves after adding Tratzberg Castle.
By inheritance, the castle arrived in 1589 to the merchant family of Augusta Fugger, which took great advantage mainly from the nearby extraction of copper and silver in Schwaz. Georg Ilsung's daughter Anna had Jacob III. Fugger married. Fuggerstube and Fuggerkammer still remember the famous patrician family.
The Stauber-Imhof, von der Halden and Josef Ignaz Reichsfreherren von Tannenberg families followed in the 17th and 18th centuries. However, the castle was not inhabited since the mid-18th century. In 1809, the Bavarian soldiers sacked the armory in the Napoleonic wars and demolished part of the furniture.
When the Enzenberg family, still in possession of the castle, bought it by succession in 1847, long restoration work was necessary to make it habitable again. Ulrich Goëss-Enzenberg and his wife Katrin Goëss-Enzenberg have lived here since 1991; the last restoration works 1991-1994 and the tourist development date back to this generation of Enzenberg.
Parts of the castle, such as the courtyard and first floor rooms, can be visited from late March to early November as part of guided tours.