Accademia dei Rozzi di Siena, founded in 1531 under the name Congrega dei Rozzi by a group of artisans, then carried out activities related to theater and music, as well as cultural events.
Accademia Dei Rozzi History
The "Congrega" dei Rozzi, founded in 1531, after being transformed into an Academy in 1691 became, above all during the 19th century, one of the most prestigious cultural institutions in Siena. After using the Saloncino located in the premises of the Metropolitan Opera for its business, the Academy, following the grand-ducal ban on the use of the Saloncino, decided in 1804 to build a new theater in the premises located near Piazza. of San Pellegrino (today Independence) designed by the Sienese architect Alessandro Doveri.