Built in 1861, the former Austro-Hungarian fort is located on a panoramic promontory and today houses a restaurant. Custom tables and themed corners, ceilings and stone walls, military embrasures from where the cannons once emerged and from which the view now sweeps over a breathtaking view.
Al Fortino History
From 1860 to 1915, around thirty forts were built throughout the Trentino to bar, or at least to counteract, the invasion of the territory. The armament of each fort was the responsibility of the Ministry of War and made with materials produced by the empire industries. The most important was the Skoda. The communications between the commands (protected by encryption) occurred first with the optical telegraph, then with the telegraph and telephone. The stations worked with network connections and autonomous generators. The peacetime messengers were the custom.
Nago, as a type of construction, belongs to the "first generation" while the Panoramica from the valley of Forte di nagocannoniere superimposed on the two floors adhere to the rules of vertical defense of the German school. The two fortified works were placed across the street that was blocked by a door. It was therefore a "cut" on the old route, between Nago and Torbole. This term was defined as a work that barred a way of communication in an easily defensible place.
The superior of the two casemates, the real fort, had eight minimum guns on the first floor and six on the second. The battery was placed on the boards called for the small gunship, because the fire was placed behind and did not protrude from the loophole of the casemate called just gunboat. A seventh identical opening to the previous ones, open on the north side of the fort, was destined to be armed to beat the Nago - Arco road. Next to this opening, there were eleven loopholes for easy; thirteen others, on the first floor. Moreover, always towards the north, a boundary wall limited the "gorge" and had numerous loopholes to beat the road and the road to Arco. From the pillar upstream of the road there was a wall with slits for riflemen, destined to defend the road.
The lower casemate was two stories, with the lowest completely blind. On the façade, towards the current entrance, we can still see the traces of the arches of the stone shoulder that supported the door which blocked the passage. The lake front façade was equipped with two slits for riflemen: four were on the road. In the north and east facades, two loopholes, one on each side, provided for defense in their respective directions.
A series of flight ramps in adherence to the wall served as an internal pedestrian link between the two works. Access to the fort was from the road from Nago bordered by two gates in the perimeter walls. On the ground floor, the entrance was controlled by a building reserved for the guardhouse and the troop housing.
The fort was built composed of two stone casemates worked, as always with material found in the area: yellow Mori for the upper fort and pink for the lower one. The artefacts were received in excellent condition and, although they are military works of defense, show off a pleasant decorative and chiaroscuro effect from the openings on the facades.