In a natural amphitheater on the sunny slope above Merano, the flower gardens of Castel Trauttmansdorff extend over a surface of 12 hectares. In the heart of these rises the mighty castle that can boast among its most illustrious visitors the empress Elisabeth of Austria, Sissi, who elected it to winter residence.
Castel Trauttmansdorff History
The origins of Trauttmansdorff Castle, once known as Castel Neuberg, date back to the Middle Ages. The first documented records speak of the existence, around 1300, of the Neurberg farm that stood on the current area of the castle, as evidenced by the traces still visible on the walls and on the crypt.
Only in 1846 Joseph von Trauttmansdorff, Count of Styria, moved to Merano, buying the castle previously abandoned by his ancestors, extending it to its present size and adding, among other things, neo-Gothic elements.
Beginning in 1870, Empress Elisabeth of Bavaria and her entourage chose Merano for her winter stays, occupying several rooms of the manor and making the South Tyrolean town extremely famous as a spa.
After the period of neglect suffered during the two world wars, (during which the castle changes several times owner), in 1977 it passed to the provincial administration of Alto Adige.
So we decided to use the complex again: after years of careful restoration in 2001 the "Botanical Garden" was inaugurated, while in 2003 it was the turn of the Touriseum, the provincial tourism museum.
Inside the Touriseum you can learn about the history of tourism in South Tyrol and Tyrol, in an illustrated route that addresses the history and current events of the tourism phenomenon. Different stages with scenes, faithful reconstructions and audio and video productions accompany visitors in twenty rooms, covering two hundred years of history.
On the upper floor of the Touriseum there is a part of the historic rooms that show the apartments of Empress Elisabeth shine in all their splendor.
Around the imposing complex are the beautiful gardens that extend for twelve hectares boasting the presence of over eighty different botanical environments. Plants from every corner of the world fit into a terraced natural amphitheater that leaves room for striking views of Merano and the surrounding Alpine panorama.
In a welcoming and modern environment and abandoned to the pleasure of our gastronomic creations. The Schlossgarten Restaurant is located in the heart of the Botanical Gardens, directly at Trauttmansdorff Castle.
The restaurant's proposals are able to meet all tastes: from original South Tyrolean cuisine to light dishes of Italian culinary art, all prepared with quality ingredients and mainly regional.
A pleasure for the palate that is completed by the delight for the eyes: in the heart of the Gardens, the view of the surrounding mountains is simply spectacular. In the footsteps of Sissi, discovering plants or visiting the Touriseum: our restaurant always offers a good reason to stop.