At the gates of Merano, in the direction of Val Venosta, there is a small village called Forst. At first glance, the observer is struck by a well-constructed and impressive building, which, with its characteristic architectural style, integrates harmoniously into the surrounding environment. Hidden behind these great walls is the most famous brewery in South Tyrol: the Forst Brewery, which among other things is one of the largest in Italy.
The current Forst S.p.A. it was founded around 1857 by two Meran entrepreneurs. Even then, the ideal condition of the current position in Lagundo was recognized: the pure air, the vast valley floor and the excellent spring water - ideal for the production of the special beer of the Merano and surrounding area.
Josef Fuchs, the founder of the family who took over the company in 1863 and still owns its shares, built the first Forst brewery where it is still today, to use the considerable quantities of spring water from Mount San Giuseppe. Josefsberg.
Today the company is run by the fourth generation, represented by Margherita Fuchs von Mannstein. In South Tyrol there are numerous typical restaurants, the so-called "Forsterbräu", where, in a characteristic atmosphere, you can taste the entire variety of beer specialties produced by the Forst Brewery, accompanied by a tasty local dish. The name of the Brewery Forst in Lagundo, implies the proximity to nature and tradition, but also the hard manual work of man.
At the historical premises of the Forst brewery there is a restaurant and a summer garden where the visitor can taste the delicacies of the Tyrolean cuisine.
It is also possible, by booking in advance, to visit the factory of the historic brewery.