The Trussio Castle is located in the homonymous village, a hamlet of Dolegna del Collio, in a strategic position on a hill overlooking the river Judrio. The origin is unknown, but it is assumed that a tower would rise a short distance away and that a Roman lookout existed a short distance away.
Castello di Trussio History
It is mentioned for the first time in 1257, when, following the attacks of Mainardo Conte di Gorizia, it was abandoned by its lord Leonardo di Fratta and set on fire. In the same year Ghislardo di Fratta returned to possession of the feud guaranteed in his rights by the Patriarch Gregorio da Montelongo, reconstructing the manor a short distance from the previous one.
Later the fortress passed then to the lords of Spilimbergo and then to the Zuccola di Spilimbergo who held it until 1869. The Trussio Castle was also the object of sieges as in 1361 by Rodolfo IV Archduke of Austria and in 1364 when they were the Udinesi to conquer it. In 1431 it was the Hungarians who occupied it during the war against the Serenissima and was still the subject of the clashes between Venice and the Empire in 1511 when it was destroyed; today's towers date back to that time, while the two walls and the two towers remain of the oldest part. Once the House of Trussio was extinguished, the castle was again given as a fief to the lords of Spilimbergo, who exercised the command through a captain until 1869.
After having been for years a hunting reserve where pheasants and hares abounded, it now hosts a renowned restaurant, one of the most prestigious in the region. The great scenographic impact and the utmost attention to detail have made it, over the years, a point of reference for lovers of good food. The choice of a la carte wines is very wide, with one of the best wineries in Italy, while the menu offers dishes based on local products to enhance the work of local producers and homemade pasta and desserts.