The Passerin d'Entrèves castle, sometimes called simply Châtillon castle, is today an elegant private villa overlooking the village of Châtillon from above.
The castle is surrounded by a park adorned with centuries-old trees open to the public during the summer months.
Castello Passerin d'Entrèves History
It seems that the Castle dates back to Roman times, since the very name of Châtillon originates from "castrum", and therefore indicates a location where a Roman fortress once stood.
The park, like the castle and the French-style Renaissance garden, took on its current shape starting from 1706. In fact, thanks to the will of Paolina Solaro di Govone, wife of Giorgio Francesco di Challant, the complete reconstruction of the manor was carried out and the planting of new trees. Today the park belongs to the Countess Claudia Passerin d’Entrèves.
The castle is inserted in a park covering an area of three hectares, 2 of which have been open to the public since 1996 during the summer months designed in the eighteenth century; the terracing of the land dates back to 1717, while the walls around the park were raised only in the 19th century.
The oldest plants date back to the era of Paolina Solaro di Govone in Challant who had them planted at the beginning of the 18th century to restore those demolished by the French during the invasions of 1691 and 1704. The main nucleus was gradually added to those planted on the occasion of the birth of the family. As an interest of the current owner, 33 trees of 9 different species have been declared monumental.
In the wing for private use, the park preserves the last historic French garden left in the Aosta Valley, commissioned by the same Countess Paolina together with the avenue of lime and beech trees.