The Brandenburger Haus overlooks the glacier in the Ötztal Alps between the Gepatsch and Kesselwandferner. It is the highest refuge of the Deutsche Alpenverein (DAV) and belongs to the Berlin section.
Brandenburger Haus History
In 1903, the idea for the first time was to build the Brandenburger Haus for the benefit of the Gepatschferner study, in order to study one of the largest glacial areas of the eastern Alps. It was finally built on a southern side of the Dahmannspitze (3397 meters), and later named after the architect. Since construction of the structure was only possible for a few weeks during the summer, the refuge was only opened in 1909.
During the First World War, the Austrian army moved to the building to train the Alpine infantry led by Luis Trenker. Numerous restoration and modernization activities have taken place since the 1960s.
Numerous excursions can be made from the Brandenburger Haus. For example, the house mountain, the Dahmannspitze, as well as the Fluchtkogel, Weißkugel and Weißseespitze can be climbed. Other huts nearby are, in addition to the Rauhekopfhütte, the Italian Weißkugelhütte in South Tyrol and the Vernagthütte, which can be reached through the Guslarjoch pass, 3311 meters high.