The vast complex of the Castle of San Pelagio in Due Carrare houses a restaurant and an aeronautical museum dedicated to Gabriele D'Annunzio, who in 1918 left here for his epic flight over Vienna.
Castello di San Pelagio History
The Castle of San Pelagio is also known as "Villa Zaborra", from the name of the family that has owned it since the late 1600s.
The structure, built by the Carraresi for defensive purposes, is characterized by the presence of a medieval crenellated tower dating back to 1300 around which, towards the end of the eighteenth century, arose the typical Venetian villas complex that defines its current appearance.
But to make particular the Castle is certainly its history: here the poet GabrieleD'Annunzio stayed for about a year between 1917 and '18 during the preparations for the famous flight on Vienna and always from here he left with his aerial squadron from the field which was located south of Villa Zaborra.
Inside the Castle the rooms reserved for the "Vate" are still preserved during the stay with the most important relics and the scenographic reconstruction of the kitchen and the hall that was the scene of the incredible enterprise planning on the Austrian skies.
In 1980 the "Museum of Air and Space" was born, in homage to the Poet, which, with a chronological path, retraces the history of the flight, starting from the mythical origins of Icarus and the flight of birds, passing through Leonardo da Vinci until get to the present day and the space conquests. With over 300 models of airplanes, balloons, airships, engines and mannequins stands out as the most famous aeronautical collection in Europe.
The restaurant is open all year and is ideally suited for ceremonies and celebrations. It has large rooms equipped for meetings, conferences.
A 3-hectare park with centuries-old trees and a rich collection of English roses, a representative garden, an ice-house, an ancient thermal bath dating back to the late Roman era and two green labyrinths.