The Rothenthurn castle is located above the eponymous village on the southern slope of the Insberg in the Spittal an der Drau community. It offers four carefully furnished apartments where modern comforts are combined with the flavor of history.
Schloss Rothenthurn History
The castle was a fief of the counts of Ortenburg, following the counts of Peperoncino and the counts of Gorizia-Tyrol. The first detectable owner was Hans Kreutzer in 1478. In the mid-16th century, the castle was owned by the Khevenhüller, who left it to the locker room keeper Ehrenholdt Eschey. In the 18th century, the owners were the merchants Eineter and Perscher. In 1882 the castle was owned by the Normann-Ehrenfels family.
The oldest part of the complex is called the central "Red Tower", whose nucleus probably dates back to the 11th century. From it led an underground passage connecting with the "Maximiliansburg", a stable castle between Molzbichl and Rothenturn.
Each of the four elegant apartments (3 to 5 people) and two large rooms are spacious and equipped with modern facilities where you can get carried away in a historic world without sacrificing wellness.