Millstatt Abbey is located in Millstatt am See, a municipality in the district of Spittal an der Drau in Carinthia. In addition to being one of the major spiritual centers in the region, the complex houses a museum where numerous objects and testimonies of the time when it was inhabited by monks are exhibited.
Stift Millstatt History
Founded in 1070, it was in the hands of the Benedictines until 1469, was then transformed into a castle in the 16th century by the military order of San Giorgio; it then passed to the Jesuits and was finally secularized in 1773.
The 12th century portal has ornamental reliefs with faces embedded in the columns and Christ in the tympanum. On the left wall of the chapel on the right is the fresco of the Passion of Christ by the painter Friedrich von Villach (1428). The interior has three naves in Gothic forms with reticulated vaults and adorned with vaulted arms. The main altar is baroque (17th century). During the Lenten period the high altar is covered by a 1593 canvas of passion with 41 scenes from the Bible