The Freistadt beer community has a long tradition: being produced in the heart of the Mühlviertel region since 1777.
Freistädter Bier History
In 1363, Duke Rudolf IV granted the citizens of Freistadt the privilege of brewing beer in his own homes and serving it there. Back then, citizens were considered only those who owned a house within the city walls.
In 1770 the purchase contract was signed for the "City Clerk Gardens" outside the city walls between the municipality and the citizens of Freistadt. This laid the foundations for the construction of a new brewery, built between 1770 and 1780.
The 149 brewers had the right to set up the "beer community in Freistadt" together and in 1780 they opened their brewery outside the city walls. The rights and obligations acquired by the "Freistädter Braucommunisten" at that time have remained intact to this day.
The Freistadt beer community is one of the 42 commercial breweries in Upper Austria and the largest brewery in the Mühlviertel. Its annual production includes around 120,000 hectoliters of Freistadt beer.